Thursday, June 4, 2009

Eye Opener...

I was busy making my lunch today when I heard the dog across the alley barking.  Not unusual. (the dog is annoying...)  Then she started barking furiously.  When I looked out the window there was a little girl, no older than 8, on her bike FLICKING the dog off.  Really?  You're going to flick a dog off?  Really?  You're 8 years old!!!  Who taught that to you and why does your MOTHER think its ok that you know something like that??? 
 Obviously this dog does not like you by her property.  Please leave.  So she started to ride away on her bike.  She must have decided that she wasn't done with the dog and got off her bike and started yelling at the dog.  Ok, that I understand.  And the dog stopped barking (for a second).  I don't know what the girl said, but that dog is obnoxious.  ALWAYS barking.  Then she walked away.  The dog didn't stop.  So she proceeded to go back to the house and she STARTED CLIMBING THE FENCE.  
I step in.  I open our door.  Finnegan charges for the fence (he HAS to know why that dog is barking so much).  I tell the little girl that she needs to get off and continue to ride her bike.  She doesn't live there and that is not her dog.  She needs to move on.  She does. And she watches me the whole time.  

Its scary what kids know now.  I don't think I knew what "flicking off" was.  My middle finger was just the tallest finger when I was 8.  It had no meaning.  
I'm pretty aware what kids know.  I have worked with them since I was 15.  I'm not dumb.  They're not dumb.  But its still an eye opener everytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment